Dr. Alvey is an Assistant Professor of Literacy at Austin Peay State University. She teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in literacy methods, children's literature, and English Language Learners. She also coordinates both the Reading masters program and the Master of Arts in Teaching program at APSU. She earned her BA in English/Secondary Education from Thomas More College, her MEd in English Education from Vanderbilt University, and her PhD in Learning, Teaching, and Diversity, with an emphasis in Language, Literacy, and Culture from Vanderbilt University. Dr. Alvey's scholarly interests include digital literacies, children's literature, struggling readers, and teacher education. (More Info)
- Great course for preservice teachers or anyone with an interest in children’s literature!
- Gain a better understanding of and appreciation for children’s literature from and about Great Britain
- Tour the Warner Bros. Harry Potter Studio Tour outside London
- See children’s literature come to life on stage in London’s theatre district
- See original manuscripts and artwork from classic children’s books at the British Library
- Visit museums to explore aspects of children’s literature (including the Victoria and Albert Museum)
- Engage in discussions about literature with peers while experiencing the environment in which the books are set